Box stamped: “B. Kittredge & Co. Cin. O./Patented Jan. 27, 1863/Reissued Apl. 14 ’63.” Lacquered copper construction–bulbous fronted–with a spring loaded self-closing lid and two metal loops at the back–to permit carrying by a belt. Belt buckle marked “108.”
Often considered the cartridge box for the Henry rifle, it may well have been made for the Smith and Wesson carbine.
See the December, 1967 issue of Gun Report, Confederate Arms by William A. Albaugh, III and Edward N. Simmons, and B. Kittredge & Co., Cincinnati, Ohio: Civil War Gun Dealers, presented by Randall O. Setty.
Approximately 4 1/4″ wide by 3 1/2″ high, by 1 7/8″ deep. Belt fragment approximately 18 1/2″ long.